It’s a common misconception that oily skin doesn’t require moisture or a skincare routine. But this is incorrect. Oily skin actually needs just as much care as any other skin type...it’s just important to find the right kind of skin care targeted specifically for oily skin. First, you want to make sure that your skin is indeed oily and not oily due to dehydration. Now, if you passed the self pinch test, read on to find ways to balance your oiliness.
- Beauty Oils- This is the first treatment I recommend because it’s THAT important. I know what you’re thinking as you read this. Your skin is oily so why the heck would you need to add more oil to it? Well, I’ll tell you why. Believe it or not, oily skin can benefit the most from adding beauty oils to it. Why? Depending on what oil you use, it can(and will!) actually help in balancing your skin’s natural oil production, unlike most mattifying treatments that just target the surface issue and sometimes do more damage long term than good.
- Moisture- Oily skin needs moisture, just like it needs a good beauty oil. My favorite one to use for oily skin is the Water Cream by Tatcha. It’s a great cream for daily use, and works wonderfully both by itself and under makeup, since it absorbs seamlessly into the skin. This light, gel-like, and airy cream has anti-aging properties with a burst of skin improving Japanese nutrients such as wild rose and powerful botanicals to help you achieve pure hydration without any of the greasiness. With green tea, rice, and algae, it helps restore balance to your skin to give you a youthful radiance like none other. Cruelty free, paraben free, free of mineral oil as well as synthetic fragrances makes this moisturizer great for even the most sensitive skin types. The Water Cream $68 is available at www.tatcha.com
- Exfoliate- Sexapeel! That’s the only exfoliator you’ll ever need, and if you want to know more about this wonder treatment.
- Toner- I never recommend washing your face with a cleanser in the morning, but sometimes you need a little something to remove all the buildup of oil that develops on your face while you sleep, right? Well a good toner will do that, among other things. My favorite to use on oilier skin types is the Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic from REN Skincare. With seven skin benefits from use such as exfoliating action, help in minimizing pores, boosting radiance and evening out tone, this tonic is a must have regardless of your skin type...but especially for oily skin! Plus the bottle is 100% recyclable, as well as the product being cruelty free and vegan which makes this beauty buy an ethical one! And what’s not to love about that? (Side tip: don’t use this toner on the days that you choose to exfoliate...since this is an exfoliating toner, we wouldn’t want you to over strip your skin!)
- Blotting Papers- This one is kind of a no brainer. With so many skincare products out there, you need something to help that oil buildup throughout the day without having to apply more product that will mess up your perfect makeup, right? Blotting papers are the mess free and gentle solution to get that layer of oil that’s peeked through your foundation, and what better blotting papers than the Green Tea Blotting Linens by Boscia? Purse friendly and designed to soothe skin and eliminate shine all without disturbing your makeup underneath it, these linens are gluten free as well as vegan and free of any artificial fragrances or dyes, making it a perfect option for oily skin! Green Tea Blotting Linens $10 are available at www.boscia.com