Skincare for Dry SkinSalsabil Malik
If you’ve suffered or are suffering from dry skin, you already know how difficult it can be to deal with. Flakey patches, redness, itchiness, texture, and overproduction in oils are just some of the many irritating effects of having dry skin. But luckily, there are some amazing treatments that, with consistent use(as well as some quick fixes for when you’ve pushed the snooze button far too many times!), can help with that!
One main fact you should keep in mind is that dry skin is very different from dehydrated skin, and as a result, needs to be treated in different ways. How? Well, with dehydrated skin there is a lack of water in the stratum corneum, which is basically the top layer of skin. As for dry skin, that is skin that is lacking in oils. It should be noted that you don’t always need to have dry skin in order to have dehydrated skin.
- Internal Hydration- It comes as no surprise that quite a few of us forget to hydrate properly, and even those who do may not necessarily take their lifestyles into consideration when drinking water. For instance, if you love to have the occasional(or not so occasional *wink wink*) glass of wine, or just canNOT get through the day with more than your fair share of coffee, you have to consider how much more hydration your body may really need to make up for it. But that’s okay! Having a good skincare routine means constantly learning to figure out what your body needs when it needs it, right?
- External Hydration- Moisturizer is key, but providing hydration with the right ingredients is very important. You always want to look for vitamins like E, C, and A, as well as hyaluronic acid, glycolic acid, ceramides and certain oils like squalane or argan...to name a few. My go to moisturizer for drier skin types is the Squalane + Omega Repair Cream from Biossance. This lightweight, powerful hydrator is great because you can use it both morning and night, and it hydrates beautifully sans any greasiness to prep your skin for makeup application. Ideal for all skin types, this moisturizer has squalane oil and hyaluronic acid for maximum hydration, as well as acai berry sterols and omega fatty acids to plump your complexion and help with any fine lines and wrinkles. Squalane + Omega Repair Cream $58 is available at www.biossance.com
- Balance- Dry skin can look and feel parched, so it’s important to find the right oils to bring balance back to your skin.
- Protect- I’ve already done quite a few articles on the importance of protecting your skin against the sun’s harmful rays regardless of your skin tone and regardless of the weather, but it’s always important to repeat it! Protect your skin and you’ll notice the difference...I know I have noticed a huge difference in my skin from being quarantined for most of the summer haha!
- Lock It All In- Everyone knows how much I love Sonia Roselli’s products, and none is more near and dear to my heart than the Water Balm. It’s great because it can be used to “lock in” moisture regardless of what moisturizer you are using over or under it(it should be noted that it works best when under a more emollient cream). Great for all skin types, for using both night and day, as well as barefaced or under makeup. I love it so much that my whole household now uses it too! It will change your life! Water Balm $49 is available at www.soniaroselli.com