Quarantine Beauty EssentialsSalsabil Malik
If you’re a beauty lover, you already know how rough quarantine can be in that department. Not being able to get your nails filled or your hair trimmed...and even worse: not getting your brows done! Personally, I’m a fan of attempting to maintain what I get done at salons for the times I’m not able to go due to my makeup artist schedule, so I’m going to share my personal hacks with you, as well as include the pros and cons for some of them.
- Electric Trimmer - This is an item that I have not been able to live without for over 15 years! As someone who suffers from ingrown hairs and skin sensitivity when it comes to waxing or plucking, an electric trimmer is vital for making sure I have my brows looking the way I want them to...and also to make sure that my mustache isn’t bigger than my dad’s! The benefits of using this tool is that I can remove my hair easily and quickly without any irritation, and have them looking as if they just got done all the time. The downsides are that I have to do it at least once a week and that I have to be really really REALLY careful not to sneeze while doing my brows(I may or may not be speaking from experience haha). Premium Precision Trimmer $17.99 is available at www.remingtonproducts.com
- Press On Nails - This is a great option for those who are used to getting their claws done on the regular and can’t while being stuck in quarantine, but not all press ons are created equal. My two favorite brands for pressIntegrity CommerceC ons are Static Nails(which are great because they are reusable) and KISS ones(which have such an amazing variety of tips). The pro is that you can have salon worthy nails at any given time. The con is that sometimes a nail will fly right off your finger when you’re trying to open a champagne bottle at brunch...which looks ultra suave in front of everyone. Static Nails $16 are available at www.staticnails.com. KISS Nails, starting at $6.99 are available at www.kissusa.com
- A “Bulletproof” Topcoat - I have yet to find another topcoat that can rival the one made by Seche Vite. While this probably isn’t actually bulletproof, for someone who chips their nails easily like I do, this damn near feels like it! This is the only topcoat I ever use, and I find that it lasts longer than any other one. The pros are that it's super fast drying, and meant to be used over wet polish to lock everything in and harden every layer under it. The con is that the bottle gets kind of chunky as you near the end of it due to the special formula, but they do make a thinner especially for this issue so you can get every last delicious drop of it. Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat $6 is available at www.seche.com
- A Decent Sleep Spray For Those Restless Nights - I suffer from insomnia on the regular, but during the quarantine it has kicked into high gear and truly given me what I call The Vampire Schedule. I’ve tried many sleep sprays, but none have helped me as much as the Deep Sleep Pillow Spray by This Works. Formulated with Lavender, Vetiver and Chamomile, the spray helps you both fall asleep and, more importantly, STAY asleep. Plus, it’s the only one I’ve seen that is suitable during pregnancy too! Deep Sleep Pillow Spray $29 is available at www.thisworks.com
- A Body Scrub To Make You Feel Pampered As Can Be - You may not be able to go to the spa for your usual treatments, but there’s no reason you can’t bring the spa experience to home! I’ve tried a lot of different body scrubs, but most of them tend to dry my skin out after use if I’m not careful about lathering lotion on all over...save for one: Bamboo Renew. With an essential oil blend of Lemongrass, Litsea and Mimosa Flower, this scrub hydrates so well that I actually DON’T need to put lotion on after my shower...seriously! Bamboo Renew $38 is available at www.limelifebyalcone.com (Don’t forget to put Salsabil Malik as your Beauty Guide!)